• Scare Brain Cancer 5K
  • Playground Workout Video
  • Top 5 Questions You NEED To Ask After Surgery
  • Peak Performer of the Month
  • Cutest Pet Contest Winner 
ANDREW FUN FACTS:

ee512797-eafe-4768-840b-c75aacb25991.jpg

GETTING TO KNOW ANDREW…

We’re so glad to have Andrew on board with our Peak Performance Team!  He’s been an awesome addition with his caring heart, passion for learning and making a difference, smiling face and "quick to get to know” personality.  His patients have been sharing praises of him to many of his teammates.  What a great start he’s had.  Plus he’s a Bills fan!   Here’s a few things you might not have known about Andrew:

So how did you end up in Rochester, NY?  I am blessed to have a wonderful family who convinced me to move to the snow country of Upstate NY.

Any pets?  My dog is a Samoyed who loves the winter time (she blends in well with snow).

Any bucket list plans?  I would like to hike all 46 high peaks of the ADK Mountains (13 done thus far)!

What is on the immediate horizon for you?  I am looking forward to starting a family with my beautiful fiance Samantha who I am marrying 10/10/2015. 

Something we would not know about you?  I have backpacked around Europe while studying in Ireland.

We heard you were division 1 track and field, are you still running?  I am training to run the Walt Disney World Marathon in 2016

October Event – Scare Brain Cancer Co-Sponsor 

CALLING ALL GRADUATES (…and those able to safely walk for a 5K).

COME JOIN US!
We’re not talking about those of you out there on crutches or recovering from injuries right now but those of you who’ve graduated from PT or are dealing with upper body issues and still enjoy and are able to safely walk.  

Peak Performance is proud to sponsor for the 2nd year in a row the Scare Brain Cancer Run/Walk right here in East Rochester on Saturday October 24th.    Some of our team will be out there walking for this great cause.  And, two of our own Peak Performance PT team will be offering a Pre-Race WARM-UP using many of the multi-directional functional movement patterns some of you have learned in rehab and that we use with our sports training programs for young athletes.  We’ll see if we can get lots of the kids out there for Race Day to join us in some fun and functional body preparation for the event!

6e2d822c-9499-42dc-98e1-eb102566de14.jpg
 Join us Saturday October 24th 2015

Date & Time

Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 9:00 am. 

Registration starts at 7:00 am in the HS foyer.

Location East Rochester High School

400 Woodbine Ave.

East Rochester, NY 14445    

The FIRST 10 patients to sign up and join us in the walk will get a coupon for a Free  Screening.   One of our Peak Performance PT’s will spend 15 minutes with you or a loved one, helping to check an injury or pain  and point you in the right direction….FREE of CHARGE!  

Get your forms here at Peak Performance.

Playground Functional Activity from Mike and Karen Napierala c3cd365dcd66463340343b8890f15f1b.png
From that â€œNew” Knee or Hip to the Disc Herniation They Removed: 

d07ae834-c6c8-4555-a011-74cccea256b6.jpg

THE TOP FIVE QUESTIONS YOU NEED TO ASK AFTER SURGERY

The excitement of something “new.”  A fresh start.  A new beginning.  There’s also remembering more youthful days….or at least days of feeling healthier.  There’s the hope of resuming those activities you’ve been missed out on.  Contributing in ways you haven’t been able…as a parent, a son or daughter, at your job or as the family provider, as a grandparent.  Back to being the helper and not the helpee.  Being that friend who was always there for others instead of the one making the call for help.

You name it.  We all have those roles we play in life that we hold near and dear to our heart.  They’re part of who we are…part of how we and others identify us.    When injury and pain pull us away from the things we love it can really strike a blow. 

Do you know someone who had a joint “replacement”?  What about having the disc herniation or meniscus tear “removed”?  If so, then you know all too well the common impression that many surgeons can end up giving…

“Once this new part is in you’ll be good as new”

“Once I remove this - - -- - you’ll be back to your old self”

“Just rest and let it heal and you can gradually go back to activity.”

BUT IS THAT REALLY TRUE?

IF YOU’VE HAD OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAD SURGERY TO FIX AN ORTHOPEDIC INJURY THERE’S A FEW KEY QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD BE ASKING…

1. What was causing my pain?
          Where all the tissues that caused my pain replaced with “new” parts?

1. What made me so limited in life? 
         Where all the tissues that limited my function replaced with “new”                  parts?

1. Will this come back again? 
          Was the underlying CAUSE of my damaged tissue changed by                     surgery?
  1. How did I get this way to begin with?   
          Does replacing that part (or removing the damaged tissue) mean I                 won’t have problems anymore?
  1. Once that damaged tissue is replaced or removed I’ll just bounce right back to being healthy again right?
          Next week I’ll dig a little deeper into some possible answers YOU                 SHOULD KNOW ABOUT to those Top Five questions!  Stay tuned.

Knee surgery image above is provided by Image courtesy of olovedog at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

PEAK PERFORMER OF THE MONTH

c0aab922-b3e0-4d36-a62e-fc1cabd0b529.jpg

Peter is an avid exerciser and golfs regularly.  Spinal stenosis first brought Peter here years ago with great success.  This recent flare up brought him in bent over and shifted in great pain. 

4e816dc7-7aa9-48c3-85d1-dadfc71107f9.jpg

Peter says:  "I was in dire straits with my lower back.  When I came in I could barely walk.  After two sessions of specific stretches and strengthening I was able to play in a three day golf tournament, both time performing at a high level of success."  (Peter is being humble here as he actually WON those tournaments- You go Peter!)

ce8b0522-6e7c-4668-9982-7468159d1bef.jpg

Karen Napierala says:  "Peter has been a patient of Peak Performance in the past, so he knew to call right away when he started hurting.  Smart move #1.  He’s also not just meticulous about his yard work (our very own Sheila, his daughter, has got a few of those genes too!) but he’s taken that same dedicated, focused, and goal oriented approach to his home exercises.  Smart move #2.  Peter not only took the exercises that alleviated his back pain but appreciated the connection of need to help adjacent areas be flexible and functioning well to keep the stresses off the stenosis."

Peter, you are an awesome example of that old adage HARD WORK PAYS OFF! Way To Go Peter!!

Peak Performance sponsors a donation on behalf of our Peak Performer.  Peter chose Disabled American Veterans.  What a great way to share on the positive experience.

Cutest Pet Contest Winner   

Wendy M. and Oliver

712081a2-c88e-4f80-876d-df7d3533e897.jpg

September was the Cutest Pet Contest.  What a great way to see our patients family members.  And let me say, this was a hard choice!  All of the entries were great. After much debate we happily chose Oliver a 19 year old black cat with a very cool viking hat.  We hope your mom Wendy buys you something super cool from Petsmart.  Thanks to everyone who participated, it was fun!

From your Peak  PT team.

www.PeakPTRochester.com

585-218-0240      

CALL NOW to find out what YOUR BEST could be!