Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Prosoft Admin

A Cure for the Summer Blues!

1 post in this topic

“The Summer Blues” - well, that could mean different things to different people, but here's one way of looking at it. 

Your family and friends are all out having some "fun in the sun,” but the problem is you're stuck at home or sitting back watching everyone else due to an injury or nagging pain. 

For some of you, or your loved ones, you play anyway. You go out and participate…even though in the back of your mind, you can hear that little voice called your conscience saying "You know you shouldn't be doing this right?" or "Do you think this is a good idea?"

Yeah, most of us have been there at one time or another.  It's no fun missing out on the action.  In fact, I just did myself in for a bit not too long ago. 

My knees were finally feeling better. I was serving as an assistant coach to my son's U16 AAU basketball team and there weren't enough kids at the practice to do our typical full-court drills.  But with the Head Coach and me there, we were able to do a half court 4 on 4 game. 

Well, check that....games.

I knew in the back of my head that I probably shouldn't do this. Sixteen year olds and 26 year olds move around in a different time zone than most 45 year olds. 

I figured I'd take it a little easy and let my "old school" veteran skills carry me through without killing myself physically.  (Can you hear all the silly self talk and denial of reality setting me up for failure?)

As the games progressed of course, the "bonehead" side of my memory banks reminded me of the physical ways I was "used to playing"...making quick moves to the basket, jumping over people, etc.  

So much for the "taking it easy," huh?

The frustration grew as I found it tough to keep up with my darn 16-year-old-son - it seems not that long ago he could never get by me on offense and almost never stopped me from scoring. 

Those days are now a memory.

We ended up playing two games to 21 (a bit long of a game) and I seemingly survived for the moment.  Unfortunately, by the time I woke up the next day I realized that playing hadn't been so smart. 

By that time I had no choice but to taste reality and the pain/swelling in my knee forced me to lay low for a while. 

Two months later it's finally feeling better.  It took rest but also doing some appropriate PT treatment and exercises to help it turn the corner.

Don't fool yourself, especially now of all times. 

If you go out and try things you're not truly ready for you may be taking yourself out of the FUN to come in the rest of the summer by making your problem worse. 

Some of you might be saying - "I'll just wait it out and work on it in the Fall."  REALLY - are you serious? You'd give up your summer and wait it out. No need!

Peak Performance PT can help you cure your Summertime Blues by doing an evaluation and helping you make sense of your injury and find the best ways to get back to your good old self.

Why wait?  There's still time…if you address things now you can enjoy your summer without having to sit on the sidelines and be bummed as your family and friends are laughing and playing. They miss you. Don't make the mistake I made by just ignoring reality and trying to play when you're not ready - get your injury fixed and get back out there and enjoy yourself!