Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Playing Through the Pain!

1 post in this topic

Mike3.jpgby Mike Napierala, PT, SCS, CSCS, FAFS

Just the other day I saw an interesting quote from Greg Oden of the Miami Heat. For those not familiar with the NBA, he's a 2007 #1 draft pick, a 7-footer who was heralded as the next greatest center in the NBA, expected to dominate the league.

He unfortunately had knee and foot and then more knee injuries and surgeries that delayed his even starting a pro career. Repeatedly during his attempted returns, Oden would end up reinjuring himself and undergoing surgery and taking more time off.

He was recently quoted as saying, "I know I'm one of the biggest busts in NBA history."  Wow. Pretty humble of him. Revealing. Disheartening. So unfortunate.

He seemed unstoppable coming out of Ohio State many years ago. But he's human. And human bodies sometimes fail us.

The question I'm sure he asks, and you should ask is:

"How do I know when I should play through the Pain?"

That's a tough one, isn't it? Remember the old adage of being willing to "run through a brick wall" for your coach? There is something to be said for the characteristic of toughness. Yeah...mental toughness, but also physical toughness. We all get bumps and bruises and dings that aren't really serious injuries but they're uncomfortable and for some, it's enough to make them sit out and not play. Maybe some lack toughness.  

But for others it sometimes goes to an extreme of valiance and determination and "toughness" to the point that real and meaningful injuries are being ignored and persevered through. Beyond toughness. Beyond dedication.  

DON'T be complicit in your own demise!

DON'T be the author of your own tragic novel.

I don't know if Greg Oden recalls any times that he wishes he'd have decided differently about returning to play early or playing through injuries that he now wishes he hadn't. But, I do know that some of you out there, whether you're an athlete or not, have pains that you know are unacceptable and are signs your body is trying to tell you it wishes you'd back off a bit.

Be smart. Get your body healthy and happy with you again before you challenge its willingness to persevere.  

At the end of the day, as I tell all my patients, I am not in charge, your Doctor is not in charge. And even YOU are NOT IN CHARGE.  

Your body will win, sooner or later. If you listen to what it's saying sooner, then you're less likely to pay a bigger price from pushing it places it doesn't want to go!

May you always be on your path to Peak Performance!