Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Golf Lessons & Denise's Shoulder

1 post in this topic

Mike3.jpgby Mike Napierala, PT, SCS, CSCS, FAFS

I was talking to a patient the other day, we'll call her Denise, who was frustrated over how slowly her shoulder was improving. She was actually doing much better than previously. She'd been through Physical Therapy before that included some home exercises and had also received a cortisone injection that helped a little. She had been dealing with this shoulder problem for more than a year. Denise was understandably frustrated. 

With the changes in Physical Therapy that I introduced (manual therapy techniques, different stretches than she was used to, exercises for her scapula and thoracic spine, more functional, lifelike movement drills), she was hoping her shoulder might have a "get better yesterday" sort of response.  

It wasn't all as magical as she'd hoped and dreamed, although she showed really nice changes in even the first visit. Underneath it all, Denise knew those weren't realistic expectations, but don't we all sometimes hope that WE'LL  be the lucky one who "has an incredible outcome, quicker than anyone else in history"?  

You bet!  

I was thinking of how I could help Denise appreciate the nice improvements she had made and to see the positive direction she was moving in and how patience and trust were part of the equation. She wasn't a surgical candidate. Already had the injection. Had limited results with more basic PT before. She didn't have lots of other options.   

It reminded me of my own golf swing. I shared with Denise that we're all hoping and looking for that "quick fix" that might be out there.  And sometimes in PT we get those. But sometimes we also find you just need to stay persistent. Keep at it!  

I told Denise how I'd been taking golf lessons and knew what to work on, and was even practicing more regularly on my own at the driving range... BUT MY SCORES WEREN'T DROPPING YET!

Had I expected quick results from the work I was putting in, I'd just give up. My teaching pro, Brian Jacobs, reminded me that it takes lots of practice to make those changes and you've got to stick with it. Change doesn't always happen overnight. As a Physical Education teacher, that struck a chord with her. She knew right away where I was going with that.

You can't always expect the golf swing to be better, the throw to be more accurate, the shot to go in the goal more often, just because you've started doing the right thing. First you figure out the "right thing," and then you've got to keep at it long enough to produce the results you want.

A wise young track coach speaking at the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid to an elite high school runner's camp I helped with in the spring said something that really struck me and it fits in here perfectly.  

He told the runners they needed to, "TRUST THE PROCESS."

Dan was referring to the entire plan developed by the coaches for a runner's season. The varied run distances and intensities. The rest times. The unusual drills. The nutrition advice. The race tactics. TRUST THE PROCESS.

Those are awesome words of inspiration. For me, I'm heading out to the driving range to practice some more. I've got to trust Brian and trust the process, and be a little patient. (If you saw how I played this morning you'd know I have to have a lot of patience!)

I encouraged Denise to do the same thing.  And I pray you will too. 

TRUST THE PROCESS.