Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Prosoft Admin

REACHING YOUR BEST! How Do You Reach Your Potential as an Athlete? - Blog

1 post in this topic

Countless athletes, coaches, parents and others have asked this question.  Todd Alford, owner of Elite Performance Baseball and Softball Training in East Rochester and I discussed that a bit during the show this week.  While there’s lots of ideas out there on how exactly an athlete can reach their potential, some mainstream and many others considered off the beaten path or even gimmicky or voodoo in the eyes of some…it goes without saying that preparing your body physically and developing increasing skill are two critical paths that athletes must take.  Undoubtedly there are others like nutrition and mental training as well.
On the physical side of things there are essentially two concerns an athlete should have. 
First:  “Am I healthy?” 
If you’ve got injuries that need to be addressed or old injuries that were never properly addressed it’s likely those are holding you back from being your best and enjoying your sport to it’s highest level. 
Second:  “What are the key areas of physical athletic ability I need to work on?” 
For some it’s flexibility limitations causing altered mechanics.  Others…maybe it’s poor balance, or a weak core, or just weakness in general.  It could be just a strength imbalance that is leading to difficulty producing powerful movements or from decelerating properly. 
Skill training is an essential component of improving as an athlete.  That’s where coaches like Todd and others, who have dedicated their life to learning more about a sport and proper mechanics and the tactical/technical aspects of the game are so necessary for athletes wanting to take it to the next level.
BUT ATHLETES…remember that you can only perform with whatever it is you bring to the table.  What do I mean by that? 
If you lack mobility, or lack balance, or strength or any physical component – and you decide to swing at a baseball, or jump for a rebound, or shoot a lacrosse ball or whatever your sport may be…REMEMBER THIS:  your body will find a way to do it.  Doesn’t mean it’s the right way or most efficient or effective way…but it’ll be the way you have to perform it based on your body’s successes AND limitations.  Skill training can only use whatever physical tools you bring to the session.  Coaches can teach fixes and “work arounds” for flaws you are showing in a particular skill but it’s very very often an actual shortcoming physically that is really behind that skill limitation. 
If you need help addressing old or new injury issues that are holding you back from your potential, or if you’re looking to take your Sports Performance Training to a new level then give PEAK PERFORMANCE  a call at 218-0240.